deaf non-reader

From: Jonathan Chetwynd <jonathan@signbrowser.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 1998 17:55:25 -0000
To: <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
I am  a teacher of adults with learning difficulties, they do not all
conform to the above description however:

"the browser should be able to select for all qualities".

I take exception to your recommendation:
A.2 Alternative text and descriptions
Text is considered accessible to almost all users since it may be handled by
screen readers, non-visual browsers, braille readers, etc. It is good
practice, as you design a document containing non-textual information
(images, graphics, applets, sounds, etc.) to think about supplementing that
information with textual equivalents wherever possible.

Our site specifically requires that text is kept to a minimum and that
graphics as nearly as possible are transparent in understanding.

AltText should be supplied but "the browser should be able to select for all

Links to interactive sites:  http://www.signbrowser.demon.co.uk  no text

Our Science Museum Visit:
http://www.signbrowser.demon.co.uk/lspacegallery.htm a few
words and sounds