Re: LAYER and EMBED

From: Alan J. Flavell <flavell@a5.ph.gla.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 1998 12:22:11 +0000 (GMT)
To: Nir Dagan <nir@nirdagan.com>
cc: WAI Guidelines List <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
On Thu, 3 Dec 1998, Nir Dagan wrote:

> Layer has a certain functionality not available with
> HTML / CSS which is to call an external bit of HTML
> and make it a part of the same document.

This is supported in standard HTML by OBJECT.

I found, to my pleasant surprise, that it actually worked in MSIE
(I was using 5b2) when I inserted an HTML document encoded in one
charset (koi8-r, say) into an HTML document encoded in a different
charset (iso-8859-1, say).

One aspect that I find to be a shortcoming is that one must define
a height and width for the OBJECT, otherwise MSIE does not display it
(or displays it at zero size, maybe - well, the perceived effect is
the same).

Having said that it works, I have to admit that I have no especial
insights into the accessibility implications of using it.

best regards