Re: stylesheets in guidelines

From: Daniel Dardailler <danield@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 09:04:54 +0100
To: nir@nirdagan.com (Nir Dagan)
cc: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org

> In my view the guidelines may be improved in
> everthing related to style sheets.

I agreed with most of what you say, but I wonder if this is bound to
Universal Design/Accessibility, or just to CSS good design guidelines,
which is related, I understand, but is getting a little far fetched in
terms of what we're asking author to do.

> * Use DIV and SPAN *only after* you run out of HTML meaning-
> carrying elements. If you want to strongly emphasize text
> use the STRONG element and assign styles to it, rather than
> using SPAN.

Better wording:

"Instead of using DIV and SPAN elements to add style, try subclassing
existing HTML elements though the CLASS attribute. For example, if you
want to stronly emphasize a text, use the EM element with CLASS set to
(say) "extra" instead of using SPAN."