Re: Removing Priorities from Guidelines

Hmmm. The problem is that the guidelines are not based on 'today', but on
what is going to remain true for a while. If OBJECT were more common than
IMG, your argument would be reversed. So the appraoch in the guidelines
is 'What things are going to make life impossible for users?' 'ALT text
on IMG, content for OBJECT, transcripts/captions for audio and video'.
So all of those things are priority one. The things that are really
horrible, but not insoluble, are priority two. And things that are nice
things to do, but won't make life really difficult for people if they are
ignored, are priority three. It's a rough system, but it is meant to be
robust and stable, which I think it is.

I think that it can be applied to the texhniques, on the basis that the
guidelines are all important to be followed, as per the Rationale thta
Gregg originally published. The number of techniques which are relevant,
and their priority, in a given case, is probably a good rough guide to
how important the guideline is in a given case.

(I haven't been sold on this yet. But I have put the money aside from the
weekly budget, and I'm trying to think of where it would be best.)

Charles