Re: Priority for Techniques Dealing with Foreign Language Markup

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charlesn@srl.rmit.EDU.AU>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 18:19:44 +1100 (EST)
To: Gregg Vanderheiden <po@trace.wisc.edu>
cc: "'GL - WAI Guidelines WG'" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
I'm not sure if I agree or not.

Maybe the problem should be re-expressed into marking up the Character
set. I can read a bit of Japanese and Greek, but if the character set is
not marked, and the language is not marked, then I simply have to guess
at all the character sets I can think of. Then if I make a lucky guess, I
have to work out a font.

This is from the perspective of a sighted user. I can recognise whether I
am dealing with Chinese, Japanese, Korean, or Thai at a glance. (Although
I may get Thai confused with Khmer, or other languages close by).

With a hint from the origin of the document, it gets a little easier. But
for me it seems that to compund that problem with one of lack of Language
markup and ask a braille translator or speech synthesis system to make
any sense at all is ridiculous.

If it would help anyone, I will make up some pages in a few different
languages (chinese, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, French, German,
Russian) and post them with no markup so people can try them out.

Charles McCathieNevile