RE: Name of Page Author Guidelines

Oh yeah. I remember. Actually I would say that these are still HTML
documents - they are nased on HTML, and have a whole lot of extensions
used. The question is then whether there is an accessible way of doing
what they do. But perhaps I digress.

These are a concern. Like accessible Java it appears that it could take a
long time before they are readily available in an accessible format that
can be used by everyone (since they will rely on a whole suite of things)

Unfortunately they are not really things for which there is an
alternative method - the best that can be done is very much poorer. A
recent example occurred in Victoria. University admission for
undergraduates throughout the state is handled by a centralised
organisation. Their online enrolment system was based on a Java Applet.
Which I couldn't get to run on any system I had at work, including
downloading Netscape 4.5 (as the site Recommended) and installing it
fresh. (Maybe the Mac version is different...)

It may have been possible in this case to use a CGI technology instead -
might not have looked so lovely, but there's nothing very impressive
about my tax dollars funding a big grey square and an Applet Can't Start
message anyway. But there are cases I can imagine where it is not
possible, and more where it is going to be a hard sell. I don't think
that leading edge technology is going to very often be designed with
accessibility in mind, including websites, which is unfortunate.

This is one of the reasons I have been keen to raise the issue of getting
the event model in HTML corrected as well as trying to kluge something
together which will cover most situations.

Charles McCathieNevile