Re: introducing new semantics to HTML

From: Jason White <jasonw@ariel.ucs.unimelb.EDU.AU>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 13:15:46 +1100 (AEDT)
To: WAI Markup Guidelines <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
All that is necessary is to indicate CLASS="nav" in the technique; then
authors who implement the technique will use it, but it doesn't have any
impact on HTML 4.0 as such. Quite simply, it becomes a widely used
convention which default style sheets (or user-supplied style sheets) can
follow, with confidence that authors who implement the technique will use
it.

MAP is an interesting alternative, but we are yet to be presented with
evidence of how existing user agents treat block-level content in this
context.

On balance, I tend to prefer a conventional CLASS value, but I am
obviously willing to be persuaded either way.