Re: Request for quick feedbabk...

From: Jason White <jasonw@ariel.ucs.unimelb.EDU.AU>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 10:47:46 +1100 (AEDT)
To: WAI Markup Guidelines <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
A crucial issue here is whether the "graceful degradation" guideline
captures this requirement adequately, or whether we should admit some
redundancy in order to emphasise the importance of avoiding reliance on
client-side scripts. I like the formulation which asserts that all
"functions and content should be available without client-side scripts",
meaning that if they are unsupported or turned off, there must be an
alternative means of achieving the same functionality.

Perhaps, as a corollary, a priority 2 guideline would demand that steps be
taken to make client-side scripts directly accessible for the benefit of
those who are in a position to use them. The details, as discussed in last
week's teleconference, would then be left to the techniques document.