Any browser OBJECT was: Re: Guidelines - some comments

First, old broswers show the content of the OBJECT. That's
another reason to use the content rather than the title attribute
for alternative content.

The problems start with those broswers that claim to support OBJECT.
Bugs include:

* images are shown when images are turned off. (MSIE4.x)
* movies are loaded when the browser has no appropriete plugin. (Communicator)
* images are always shown in their intristic size in a "frame" with
   scroll bars of the specified size. (Explorer 4.x)
* Links (and image maps) don't work. (Explorer 4.x)
(Communicator shows content when the object is an image)
* Neither the object or its content is rendered
  when type or height or width are not specified. (Explorer and
  Communicator)
 * supported MIME types by the browser are not recognized
   in OBJECT and content is shown instead. (Communicator with
   HTML or plain text)

Provisional solutions:
* for images and image maps, use IMG
* for Java applets use APPLET

The following is informative, not normative:
* for movies etc. use EMBED /NOEMBED
* for HTML documents use:
 <IFRAME> <!-- for MSIE, supported also by versions 3.x -->
 <LAYER src=..></LAYER> <!-- for Communicator -->
 <NOLAYER>alternative content</NOLAYER> <!-- for normal browsers -->
 </IFRAME>
(Note: you cannot interchange nesting of LAYER and IFRAME)

Regards,
Nir.