Re: Informative (non-normative) explanation to accompany guidelines

From: Jason White <jasonw@ariel.ucs.unimelb.EDU.AU>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 08:53:24 +1100 (AEDT)
To: WAI Markup Guidelines <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
On Mon, 26 Oct 1998, Al Gilman wrote:

> I think that we need to try to meet this need with references to
> the greatest extent possible.

In the past, when I have expressed a similar preference, the rejoinder has
been that most readers are unlikely to consult references beyond the
guidelines themselves, and that it is consequently necessary to provide
the explanation directly within the document or as an informative annex.

Without having conducted a detailed survey I am in no position to confirm
or contradict this observation.