Re: Guidelines - events

From: Daniel Dardailler <danield@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 10:58:09 +0200
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org

First I agree this version PA Guidelines should say something about
DHTML events.

Probably in A.11 a general statement and a technique as follow.

> Those which I think are device-dependent, and we should
> recommend not be used are:
>
> onMousedown, onMouseup, onMouseover, onMousemove, onMouseout, onKeydown,
> onKeyup, onKeypress, onClick, onDblclick

That might be a little too restrictive for authors.

Since we don't have the more logical onActivate (I'm really sorry we
missed this one in HTML4 review...), how about asking that both
devices (pointer and keyboard) be supported whenever one is:

<ELEM ...    onclick="verify()" onKeypress="verify()">

[one would have to check how browsers react to that before making it
a technical]

That's more or less equivalent to onActivate, expect that it's for any
KeyPress, so the verify() function would have to check for
Keypress=Return or SpaceBar for instance.