RE: potentially misinterpreted wording on label positioning

For blind access that is true, the LABEL element allows screen readers
identify the label of a control even if the two are spatially separated.
However, grouping them closely together helps people using magnifiers or who
have limited field of vision, and I would assume that it also helps people
with some types of cognitive impairments.