Guidelines

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charlesn@sunrise.srl.rmit.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 10:48:52 +1000 (EST)
To: WAI GL <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
There are two things that I am looking for

Section C - good design practices ????
prop: Ensure that pop-up windows or changes of window are notified to the
user before they occur.

Non-visual users can be surprised, and thoroughly disoriented, to find
they are not where they expected to be. Visual users too are often
disoriented by the sudden appearance of pop-up windows, or having a page
opened in a new window and not being able to go back to where they have been.

P2? P3?

This had been discussed and I thought it was in there.

Also, section a - ensuring all things degrade
Dynamic pages:
Guideline:
Where important information is provided in a dynamic object (for example a
javascript calculator) ensure that there is adequate notification that the
object is dynamic.

technique: In the calculator example this may mean having a
text box which is changed, and whose default value is 'on calculation
your result will appear here'.

Rationale: Assistive Technologies such as screen readers can read text
which has changed, but the user needs to know where the dynamic object is
before they can re-read it. Users will not necessarily know that a change
has occurred.

Charles McCN