Re: Accessibility of JavaScript? (Was "Re: comments on guidelines")

From: Wendy A Chisholm <chisholm@trace.wisc.edu>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 12:18:43 -0500
To: Chris Kreussling <CHRIS.KREUSSLING@ny.frb.org>
Cc: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
Hello,

It sounds like you are using JavaScript in an accessible way.  You are
correct in comparing HTML to Javascript in that it is in the use (or abuse
<grin>) that causes access problems.

as to how this relates to Charles' comments about suggested changes to C.1,
we'll have to give it some more thought.

--the editors

>Is it JavaScript (the language) or its uses that are not accessible? One
could argue that HTML, for example, is not accessible because it can be
[ab]used to produce inaccessible documents. So can JavaScript, especially
when used to create visual effects with no alternative, non-visually
accessible counterpart. I'm not "defending" JavaScript here, just wanting
to be aware of accessibility issues in its use.

>As a programmer, I find JavaScript to be a powerful tool, for example, for
client-side forms validation and assistance. Is this use necessarily
inaccessible? I think if I'm sensitive to accessibility concerns in
consideration, planning and design, it need not be. For example, for public
Web sites, I can't (won't) require that the reader/user enable JavaScript
to use the form, so part of my design and testing is to make sure the form
works without JavaScript. I can suggest to the reader/user that they enable
JavaScript to obtain specific advantages with that form, but I can't
(won't) require that they do so.