Re: Aural stylesheets

From: Masayasu Ishikawa <mimasa@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 02:18:27 +0900
To: jason@virtran.com
Cc: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
Jason McNeill <jason@virtran.com> wrote:

> I was told that the W3C has been considering changes to the new CSS2
> spec that would incorporate aural stylesheets (audio rendering of
> HTML content).  Can anyone point me in that direction?

CSS2 Recommendation has already incorporated aural style sheets.  See:

> I think tags that would aid in presenting content audibly (as
> opposed to visually) would greatly improve access for people who are
> driving but need to access web content now, or people with Palm
> Pilots, or people with visual impairments.

W3C is very much interested in the future of voice interaction for
browsing the Web.  We will hold a workshop on this issue to help
catalyze the development of voice browsing for the Web.

Masayasu Ishikawa / mimasa@w3.org
W3C - World Wide Web Consortium