Re: NOFRAMES (was:Re: Techniques Document)

nir.dagan@econ.upf.es wrote:

> The NOFRAMES element appears in the DTD of regular
> documents (loose.dtd), but has no function according
> to the HTML4.0 spec.

I don't understand what you mean by this statement.

> The reason for this strange situation is historical.
> Until and including the proposed recommendation of HTML4.0
> there was a paragraph in the spec. suggesting that using NOFRAMES
> element in a regular document means that the browser has to show
> the content if the page is not rendered "framed", but hide it when
> the document is "framed".
>
> This was ommitted from the recommendation, but the DTD
> was left without change.

>From section 16.4.1 of the HTML 4.0 specification:

<BLOCKQUOTE>
The NOFRAMES element specifies content that should be
displayed only when frames are not being displayed.
User agents that support frames must only display
the contents of a NOFRAMES declaration when configured
not to display frames. User agents that do not support
frames must display the contents of NOFRAMES in any case.
</BLOCKQUOTE>

> As far as WAI recommendation, I think we shouldn't recommend
> using NOFRAMES in regular documents, but only in frameset.

Can you give me further information on what you mean?

 - Ian

--
Ian Jacobs (jacobs@w3.org)
Tel/Fax: (212) 684-1814