NOFRAMES (was:Re: Techniques Document)

From: <nir.dagan@econ.upf.es>
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 1998 15:41:00 +0200
TO: chisholm@trace.wisc.edu
CC: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
The NOFRAMES element appears in the DTD of regular
documents (loose.dtd), but has no function according
to the HTML4.0 spec.

The reason for this strange situation is historical.
Until and including the proposed recommendation of HTML4.0
there was a paragraph in the spec. suggesting that using NOFRAMES
element in a regular document means that the browser has to show
the content if the page is not rendered "framed", but hide it when
the document is "framed".

This was ommitted from the recommendation, but the DTD
was left without change.

As far as WAI recommendation, I think we shouldn't recommend
using NOFRAMES in regular documents, but only in frameset.

Best,
Nir Dagan.