Re: Can we really deprecate tables?

From: Daniel Dardailler <danield@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 12:30:49 +0200
To: "Dobson, James" <JDobson@rnib.org.uk>
cc: "'A.Flavell@physics.gla.ac.uk'" <A.Flavell@physics.gla.ac.uk>, w3c-wai-gl@w3.org

> I was not aware that you can "turn off" CSS in these browsers (tell me
> different!!),

You raise a good point.

Somehow I thought both IE and NS would let a user turn off CSS, but I
can't find how to do that in IE (NS 4 has a "enable/disable css"
button in the Advanced panel).

IE lets you turn off individual style properties: fonts, colors, etc,
and let you use you own CSS file, but this is different: in a sense,
this is better, since this is more user-friendly, but this is also
less powerful, as the example below shows.

  http://www.w3.org/WAI/css-layout

this is an example using CSS to do 2 column layout (works under NS4
and IE3+)

How can one get a one column layout of this page in IE ?
(I guess it's possible using a user provided style, and knowing which
attributes and elements to override, but this is really hard, while in
NS, you just say ignore CSS).

> another. If the HTML file was not designed properly then you could have
> information in locations that are not appropriate. This would be down to
> good design, but surely a browser can be programmed with the ability to
> ignore or change table tagging if the user requires it?

Yes, browsers can offer a TABLE serialization switch, but the point
was that it's not provided yet, while turning off CSS supposedly was,
but now, I wonder if these are not just equivalent (in terms of user
capability to serialize 2 column layout...).