Re: New Sectioning for the PA guidelines

From: Nir Dagan <nir.dagan@econ.upf.es>
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 1998 23:51:48 GMT
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
I agree that the current sectioning may be improved.
It is quite difficult to tell from te titles of the sections
what they are about.

Daniel Dardailler suggested:

A Descriptive information
B Structure/Navigation

I think the division and what to put in each is OK,
but I don't like the term "Descriptive information".
This is because e.g., alt text doesn't describe the image
but replaces its function. Also information is too general,
structure is also information.

Maybe media-independent content
or "HTMLization of all content" may be better titles for A.

All media understand HTML, but for any other technology
there is some media/configuration where it doesn't show.
E.g, images are not always displayed so you need to hard
code in the HTML itself the function of the image.

The distinction between content and structure is that
structure is more global and has to do with the
organization of content and thus with navigation.
(like with meta information, the distinction is not perfect,
but I think we are getting to something clearer
than before.)

I am quite happy with Structure/navigation
as a title for B.

Nir Dagan
Assistant Professor of Economics
Universitat Pompeu Fabra