Re: Semantic markup of documents:

From: Nir Dagan <nir.dagan@econ.upf.es>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 02:49:11 GMT
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
In my view, it is more of a problem to nail
what meta information/relationships we want to describe
rather than how.

I think that concerning navigation *within a page*
sticking to structural markup and meaningful text,
in particular link descriptions (anchors' content)
should do the job.

If a page is so complicated that it needs meta
information about the purpose of links, there is
something fundamentally wrong with the page.

I think that the main usability problems are in navigating
within a website, that is, between pages.

This may be addressed by using LINK elements
that describe relations between the source document
and other documents. User agents may display/process them in
some way. (I avoid the important question
what are the relationships we want to
describe, because I don't know the answer)

Using LINK is not in contradiction of using RDF.
They are complementing each other.
The RDF draft suggests to refer to an external RDF
document using <LINK rel=meta>.
Also the HTML4.0 spec suggests using the profile
attribute of HEAD to refer to an (RDF?)  file that defines
the meaning of the values of name in META
(and rel/rev in LINK?).

Nir Dagan
Assistant Professor of Economics
Universitat Pompeu Fabra