Re: Long descriptions in <OBJECT>

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charlesn@sunrise.srl.rmit.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 10:27:43 +1000 (EST)
To: Chuck Letourneau <cpl@starlingweb.com>
cc: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
The PARAM method described by Daniel seems a good solution, since it
allows UAs to construct a pretty form of nested LONGDESCs for nested OBJECTs.

Personally I favour the use of D-links as well. Using REL="dlink" would
provide the same capacity for UAs should they choose to take it up,
without leaving behind everyone else.

I am against the use of LONGDESC on IMG - I think D-links should be used
instead. The real truth is that ONJECT should be used instead, as this
would provide an impetus for the UA makers to implement it properly. At
any rate, it seems more likely that OBJECT will be implemented than LONGDESC
(and TITLE) by the 'big 2', since both MSIE 4 and Netscape 4 offer some
kind of support for it already.

Charles McCN