Re: Guidelines - DTD

Jason White <jasonw@ariel.ucs.unimelb.EDU.AU> wrote:

> I would like to reiterate most emphatically the importance of ensuring
> that the guidelines themselves meet the highest standards of markup.

Indeed.  We should lead by example.

I'm maintaining /Mobile Web area at W3C, and all documents under
/Mobile are conforming to HTML 4.0 Strict DTD (I never publish
Web pages without validation!).  And also, I'd love to make our pages
conforming to WAI Page Author Guidelines.  Mobile Access does
need accessibility consideration, so input from WAI is greatly
appreciated.

> The best
> means of achieving this result is to edit the markup by hand or with an
> SGML editor (not a web authoring tool). I understand that SGML editors
> verify compliance with the DTD as one makes changes to the document and
> can help to ensure that the structure is sound.
>
> Please note that in making these remarks, I am not implicitly criticising
> previous versions of the document. To be frank, I haven't taken the time
> to examine the markup in detail, but this task must be thoroughly
> undertaken as part of the preparation of the next draft.

If you need help, I can validate and fix the documents.  Now I'm
fixing up markup errors of previous press releases (under /Press ).
If necessary, I'll do the same work for /WAI as well.

Regards,
--
Masayasu Ishikawa / mimasa@w3.org
W3C - World Wide Web Consortium