Re: Tables - Gregg's email

My first thought is that this is much too complex to include in the
guidelines. My second is that the goal of the guidelines is to teach good
practise. So I am thinking along the following lines:

Guideline:
Modality independence, or Metadata requirements. Tables should include
sufficient information to ensure that they can be accurately linearised
(broken into plain text segments, for example) without any loss of
information about what each piece of data is, or to what it is related.

Technique:
Use TH to provide headers for Table columns and rows.

Technique:
Where tables have structural divisions within them, which are not denoted
by the structure of the table, nor by the row/column headers, use the
additional table features of HTML 4.0 (SCOPE, AXIS, COLGROUP) to group the
different structures.

Rationale:
UA's can only infer the structure of a table if it contains header and
grouping information.

Reference notes:
What Gregg said. (included below)

Charles McCathieNevile