RE: Frames (was: Re teleconference - complex enough...)

From: Charles (Chuck) Oppermann <chuckop@MICROSOFT.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 1998 20:14:35 -0700
To: "'nir.dagan@econ.upf.es'" <nir.dagan@econ.upf.es>
Cc: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
<<
In other words, frames are a presentational hint, for particular media.
Therefore, stylesheets should be used for making frames.

While I cannot stand most framed pages, I understand why the functionality
is there.  For example, Hotmail.com allows you to read mail, and if the mail
has a link to another page, choosing the link just modifies the current
page.  The Hotmail.com navigation bar at the top stays the same, allowing
you to return quickly to the original mail message if you surfed your way
through to several pages.

This is not something that can be accomplished through CSS positioning.

Charles Oppermann
Program Manager, Active Accessibility, Microsoft Corporation
mailto:chuckop@microsoft.com http://microsoft.com/enable/
"A computer on every desk and in every home, usable by everyone!"