Guidelines - legal and W3C positions

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charlesn@sunrise.srl.rmit.edu.au>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 1998 15:34:35 +1000 (EST)
To: WAI GL <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
I am uncomfortable about the idea of the guidelines being used as a
checklist in a legal situation. They are Guidelines, and must be
interpreted. Although we anticipate that an individual with a reasonable
amount of intellect and some skill at web development will be able to
understand them and produce accessible code, I do not think we can
guarantee that they will be sufficient to mark off a website against in a
legal situation. As well as that, there is the question of our own
liability if such use is made, but that should be handled by lawyers.

(Besides, doesn't this offer us all lucrative stints as expert witnesses
in discrimination actions? I'm sure at a suitable rate we could argue
with each other for about 3 months, and then take the rest of the time on
holidays. But I digress, and facetiously at that.)

Charles McCathieNevile