Re: Feedback on use of ALT

From: Liam Quinn <liam@htmlhelp.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 08:40:43 -0500
To: Chetz Colwell <C.G.Colwell@herts.ac.uk>, w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
At 10:20 AM 16/02/98 +0000, Chetz Colwell wrote:
>Leonard Kasday suggested that it would be a good idea to get feedback on
>the use of ALT text from a wider cross section of blind users, especially
>those who do not participate in listservs.
>I am in the process of setting up an evaluation of some aspects of the WAI
>Page Author Guidelines and Checklist.  I will be asking blind Web users to
>evaluate Web pages designed to the Guidelines.  The pages could include a
>variety of different presentations of various elements, such as different
>uses of ALT text.

My impression from the AT&T test information posted is that many blind
users, like sighted users, view the Web as a visual medium, and hence seek
ALT text to describe a page visually.  This is a problem that has to be
overcome if the Web is to become truly accessible.  At the same time, I
find it hard to imagine user testing that would not be clouded by this
misconception.  Perhaps what is needed is users who know nothing about the

Liam Quinn