Re: ALT text survey

From: Daniel Dardailler <danield@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 09:51:54 +0100
To: "Charles (Chuck) Oppermann" <chuckop@microsoft.com>
cc: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org

Chuck wrote:
> If we load up the guidelines with exceptions and such, the author
> will not be as understanding to the problem and less likely to make
> a change.  Lets make this document incredibly lightweight and useful
> rather than a series of workarounds.

It's not a secret that it's my position as well, i.e. "Get the
guidelines straight and fix the browsers - We're working for the
future generation", but we're in a world of consensus building and I'm
happy with the classification system we adopted: Required/Recommended
and Interim/New.

So rather that saying

> Guidelines should not work around browser implementation.

I prefer to say that I'm fine with mentioning current browser issues
as long as they are properly marked (Interim/Recommended in that
case).