Re: m-dashes (fwd)

There actually is an issue here.  Using — is more universal
than —

Do the WAI Page Author guidelines deal with this at all at
present?

What does HTML4.0 say about this?  [sorry not to be telling you]
Ian?  I am sure there was a lot of thought given to
internationalization in the development of HTML4 and I don't have
it on the top of my head.

Is there a note from Dan Connolly somewhere about "Charsets
considered harmful?"  Is this W3C policy, or personal opinion?

Al