Classification of recommendations

From: Jason White <jasonw@ariel.ucs.unimelb.EDU.AU>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 14:14:29 +1100 (AEDT)
To: HTML Guidelines Working Group <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
The editors' discussion of issues 10 and 11 in the cshort form of the
changes log indicates the difficulties inherent in a two-level
classification scheme. I am in favour of a strong definition of "required"
such as that proposed. The question is whether it would be preferable to
divide the presently existing category of "helpful" suggestions into two
sub-classes: (1) strongly recommended: the document may be very difficult
and inconvenient for some groups of users to access if these are not
followed; (2) helpful: these add to the usability of a page but
non-compliance would not seriously impede access.

Alternatively: retain the existing classification system, but change the
definition of "helpful" so as to discourage authors from ignoring what
they may regard as "merely useful or incidental" guidelines that can
safely be ignored. This change would amount to making it clear that
failure to adhere to "helpful" recommendations would seriously reduce the
effectiveness and facility with which the document can be accessed by
certain groups of readers.

At this stage I am not committing myself to one alternative or the other.