Re: Comments on Rating and Classification

From: Ian B. Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 10:32:00 -0500
To: "po@trace.wisc.edu" <po@trace.wisc.edu>
CC: "'GL - WAI Guidelines WG'" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Gregg Vanderheiden wrote:

> We have received several comments (12) about changes to ratings and
> classifications.

[snip]

> Issue 9
> Current: Provide a <NOFRAME> option for each <FRAMESET>. When using the
> <NOFRAME> option it is easiest to include all essential information on the
> bottom of the main frame.
> Title each frame.[New]
>
> Discussion: Adding a title is Required, adding a longdesc is recommended.
>
> Action: Made "title" required, "longdesc" was already recommended.

Just for the record, very little is said in the HTML 4.0 spec
about "longdesc". I don't believe user agents are required to
support it (you'll see intentionally vague language about this
in the spec, as desired by the Working Group). Consequently,
I don't think its employment by authors should be required
(already the case).

Ian

--
Ian Jacobs / 401 Second Ave. #19G / New York, NY 10010 USA
Tel/Fax: (212) 684-1814          Email: jacobs@w3.org