Re: Review of WD-WAI-HAG-19980123

On Wed, 28 Jan 1998, Liam Quinn wrote:

> I think using HTML's CODE element inside the PRE element would be better
> than reliance on classes in this case since CODE gives the structural
> information to all early browsers.  Authors could use the CLASS attribute
> on CODE to indicate the kind of code, e.g., class="HTML" or class="Java".
> Speech browsers could then process common kinds of code more
> appropriately.

JW:: Without re-reading the HTML specification on this point, I am under
the impression that any markup inside the PRE element (prior to the end
tag of PRE itself) is treated as part of the preformatted text rather than
as markup. My memory may be wrong here, however. If I am right, then using
the CLASS attribute of the PRE element to distinguish code from text in a
natural language would appear to be the only feasible option.