Re: WAI Guidelines Naming

From: Al Gilman <asgilman@access.digex.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 16:07:31 -0500 (EST)
To: JBrewer@w3.org (Judy Brewer)
Cc: pjenkins@us.ibm.com, w3c-wai-gl@w3.org, ij@w3.org, khudairi@w3.org
to follow up on what Judy Brewer said:

> Actually, "User Agents" is very clear, and probably no more unknown than
> "Hosting."  Other reactions?

I was wondering if there hasn't been enough noise about
client/server architecture so that

	"WAI Accessibility Guidelines: Client Software"

would pass as general English.

To me User Agent says "the program that does HTTP" in a way that
"Client" doesn't.  I am not quite sure.  But if subjected to a
poll, I would say "Client Software" was more likely to be understood
to include the screen reader [or other adaptive accessory] and
"User Agent" was more likely to be interpreted to exclude it.  This
is funny.  Neither can be trusted to convey a precise meaning to the
breadth of our readership.

$.02

Al