Re: Comments on presentation and organization.

From: Daniel Dardailler <danield@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 15:06:13 +0100
To: GL - WAI Guidelines WG <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

Liam wrote:
> Font sizes specified in points should be avoided.

DD:: Agreed.

> This may be worth mentioning in the guidelines.

DD:: It is already:

1.1: Use style sheets instead of elements (such as I, B, FONT, etc.)
5.1 Presentation elements include: size="14", B, I, TT, FONT, ...

> Another problem for sighted users is the use of things like <BODY
> BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF">.  While this is common on the Web, I think it
> represents an accessibility problem.  If the user's text and link colours
> are too different from typical browser defaults, the page may be
> unreadable.  As an example, consider a user who has configured her browser
> to use white text on a black background; this user will see white on white
> unless she overrides all author colours, which shouldn't be necessary (but
> is on today's Web).  Recommendation:  If one of the BGCOLOR, TEXT, LINK,
> VLINK, or ALINK attributes is given, then all should be specified.  The
> BACKGROUND attribute should also be accompanied by the other BODY colour
> attributes.

DD:: Yes, this is a rule we have applied with a script to the whole W3C
site a while ago.

But I'm not sure it's worth mentioning in the document as this is
easily overruled by use of CSS "body: { color : white }" clause.