Problem with labeling radio buttons

From: Josh Krieger <jkrieger@cast.org>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 11:55:09 -0400
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
I was looking into making Bobby correctly sense LABELS for
radio buttons and I come up with the problem that the text
which the radio button corresponds to is not the same text
that modifies the set of radio button options. In other
words, the radio button set is different than just a textfield,
or textarea. I suggest an alternative strategy where a LABEL
additionally applies to a FIELDSET. i.e.,

<FORM ACTION="foo" METHOD="get">
<LABEL for="famdogs">Famous dogs: </LABEL>
<FIELDSET id="famdogs">
<INPUT type="radio" name="dogs" value="male" id="benji" CHECKED>
<LABEL for="benji">Benji</LABEL><BR>
<INPUT type="radio" name="dogs" value="male" id="lassie">
<LABEL for="lassie">Lassie</LABEL>
</FIELDSET>
<INPUT type="submit" name="submit">
</FORM>