From: Josh Krieger <jkrieger@cast.org>
Date: Sun, 31 May 1998 12:54:34 -0400
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
I don't know whether this has been covered yet, but in reference to the

1.12. Provide titles for horizontal rules, acronyms, and abbreviations

It is meaningless to use the HTML 4.0 elements ABBR and
ACRONYM without a TITLE attribute even though the TITLE
attribute is not required in the DTD. For example, who
would ever go to the trouble to create an abbrevation
element like:

and not include the TITLE? Duh.

The guideline should probably just read: "Provide titles for
horizontal rules", but we already had a discussion in March
about this one and it is still, in my opinion, on shaky ground
in regards to its use with/without the DIV element.

Josh Krieger