ABBR and ACRONYM

From: Josh Krieger <jkrieger@cast.org>
Date: Sun, 31 May 1998 12:54:34 -0400
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
I don't know whether this has been covered yet, but in reference to the
guideline:

1.12. Provide titles for horizontal rules, acronyms, and abbreviations

It is meaningless to use the HTML 4.0 elements ABBR and
ACRONYM without a TITLE attribute even though the TITLE
attribute is not required in the DTD. For example, who
would ever go to the trouble to create an abbrevation
element like:

<ABBR TITLE="New York">NY</ABBR>

and not include the TITLE? Duh.

The guideline should probably just read: "Provide titles for
horizontal rules", but we already had a discussion in March
about this one and it is still, in my opinion, on shaky ground
in regards to its use with/without the DIV element.

Josh Krieger
CAST