Re: OBJECT element guideline

From: Liam Quinn <liam@htmlhelp.com>
Date: Mon, 25 May 1998 20:50:14 -0400
To: WAI Markup Guidelines <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
At 09:04 AM 26/05/98 +1000, Jason White wrote:
>Further to Josh's comment, why should the textual alternative be included
>in the TITLE attribute of OBJECT?

LQ::  It shouldn't.  The TITLE gives a title for the OBJECT, just as TITLE
does with any other element.  Alternative text is not a title.

JW::
>If I remember the HTML 4.0 specification
>correctly, an empty OBJECT element (one that contains no content) is not
>permitted.

LQ::  OBJECT can have no content, as in the following example:

<OBJECT DATA="fluff.gif" TITLE="Pure, unadulterated fluff">
</OBJECT>

A content-free OBJECT would be appropriate when embedding a purely
decorative object--there is no alternative content because the object is
not content.

JW::
>Thus, the guideline should state that the alternative text
>belongs in the content of OBJECT, and that authors may wish to include a
>brief label for the resource in the TITLE attribute.

LQ::  Agreed.

--
Liam Quinn