Re: The visual Web vs. seamless accessibility

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charlesn@sunrise.srl.rmit.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 11:25:37 +1000 (EST)
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
cc: WAI <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
There is another feature to toss in - the LONGDESC or D-link.

In order to provide for good accessibility it is necessary to take
account of what browsers (user agents) are in use, as well as what we
hope will happen.

LONGDESC, and I think TITLE, are relatively new. ALT, and the various
methods of including a D-link, are available in almost everything.

Therefore it seems that ALT and D-links should be used in combination to
provide both the functional information service Liam is describing and
the 'thickly described' pages asked for by others (I would be one of
those others)

The additional use of TITLE for a bit more information, which can be
requested, LONGDESC as a future-proofing strategy to improve the
aesthetics of d-linking, and ultimately OBJECT, provides us with further
tools to enhance this seemingly dichotomous goal.

Charles McCathieNevile