Visual alt text [was Re: Okay, is this better?]

From: Chris Maden <crism@ora.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 14:50:51 -0500
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
[Mike Paciello]
> I would second Gregg's suggestion. Functional descriptions are much
> more critical to both the navigational and cognitive needs of the
> user. If, however the color of the line somehow implied meaning --
> like a street signal -- then including the color would be important.

The point of the original post that started this discussion was that
accessibility should target *everyone* - and for sighted users with a
text browser, there should be a visual cue akin to that of a
horizontal rule.  "Section divider" simply doesn't provide the same
visual impact that "----------------------------" does.  Even a short
line, with a description, like "---- section divider" would be better
then a text- only alt attribute.

-Chris