Re: Background patterns

From: Judy Brewer <JBrewer@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 1997 10:32:23 -0500
To: Chuck Letourneau <cpl@starlingweb.com>
Cc: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org, fillault@w3.org
OK, sounds good, so it stays in the master document with a flag for the UI
WG (Browser Guidelines Working Group) for now?

- Judy

At 09:57 AM 12/19/97 -0500, Chuck Letourneau wrote:
>My comments are preceded by CL::
>
>At 09:27 PM 18/12/97 -0500, Judy wrote:
>>Can't find anything on background patterns in the checklist or author
>>guidelines.
>
>CL::  My quick response is that references to background images and colours
>were removed from the checklist and guideline for two reasons:
>1) colour and background issues are well covered in most general style
>guides, and more importantly,
>2) if all other accessibility guidelines are met, then colour choices and
>background images are not really barriers since people who can see them can
>control their display via their browsers (or personal style sheets).
>
>Since the concept of controlling colours and background display through the
>browser is not anything the page-author needs to worry about, it really
>doesn't have to be mentioned in the guidelines.  It might be a good idea to
>remind browser manufacturers not to ever remove the ability to control them
>from their software -- but that is for the UI group to deal with.
>
>If someone writes a "guideline for browser users", then that item would be
>an important inclusion.
>
>Chuck
>

>-----------
>Co-chair
>Markup Guidelines Working Group
>cpl@starlingweb.com
>(613) 820-2272

Judy Brewer   jbrewer@w3.org     617-258-9741
Director, Web Accessibility Initiative International Program Office
World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)
MIT/LCS Room NE43-355
545 Technology Square, Cambridge MA 02139 USA
http://www.w3.org/WAI