Re: Chris's test cases - first checkpoint

Lisa,

Thanks for your comments and questions. My replies...

> Re: All IMG elements must have an ALT attribute.
> ID Number 1

[1]
I can't recall any exceptions to this rule. ALT can be null or spaces but it
has to be there.

> Re IMG element cannot have ALT attribute value of null ("") if WIDTH
> attribute value and HEIGHT attribute value are both greater than 25.
> ID Number 4
> In most case - but always?

[2]
Not always. This is a potential problem. It's perfectly OK to have large
images with null ALT but in some cases it's wrong. This may be a useful
check for programs, or people, that insert empty placeholder ALT text.

There's an important distinction between these 2 checks. The first check is
for a known problem. The second check is a potential problem and requires
human intervention to figure out it there's really something amiss.

Ideally, all the checks would work perfectly and there would be no potential
problems. Currently, more than half of the checks are for potential
problems. Human intervention is still required but at least you're pointed
in the right direction.

> Maybe we should have more maybes?

The checks are better if they can detect with certainty the problem. If we
add more "maybes" then it means the checks will get less use. People will
just ignore them.

> This description I really did not get :
> IMG element must contain a LONGDESC attribute.
> ID Number 8

[3]
This is a check for a potential problem. Likely the image does not require a
LONGDESC but you have to check for it.

I'm thinking that this check would be better if there was a size
restriction. If we keep asking people if their spacer gifs and bullets
require a longdesc then the check will be ignored.

> ID 34:
> If FRAMESET element contains 3 or more FRAME elements then FRAMESET
> element must contain a LONGDESC attribute that is a valid URI.
> -isn't that only if the relationship is complex - otherwise a title on
> each frame will do

[4]
How do we determine if the relationship between frames is complex? I've
guessed that this occurs when there are 3 or more frames. Can anyone provide
a clearer definition of frame complexity? Or, when does a frameset require a
longdesc?

Chris

[1]
http://tile-cridpath.atrc.utoronto.ca/acheck/servlet/ShowCheck?check=1&lang=eng