RE: EARL Guideline Pass/Fail Confidence

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004, Shadi Abou-Zahra wrote:

>hi marja,
>
>very interesting. i had similar thoughts but on trusting tools rather
>than individuals. i thought, maybe the confidence level might be set to
>be proportional to a benchmarking value of the tool against a test
>suite. of course all that raises questions on how to construct the test
>suite, how to benchmark and how to derive a confidence value from there
>but that is off the point right now.
>
>bottom line is that there might be some sort of algorithm to determine
>the confidence level but essential values for this calculation would
>probably need to come from an external source outside the tool. so who
>finally sets the confidence level for an assertion?

Hi Shadi,

I think this external trust stuff belongs outside EARL itself - it is a much
more general use case in RDF (as Nobu demonstrated). I think there's a case
to be made for having a confidence property in EARL, but I am not yet sure
what makes sense as a range for that property. I certainly think that such a
property in EARL should be used (when relevant) by whoever makes the
assertion.

cheers

Chaals