Re: EARL Guideline Pass/Fail Confidence

From: Chris Ridpath <chris.ridpath@utoronto.ca>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 09:36:51 -0500
To: "Charles McCathieNevile" <charles@w3.org>
Cc: "WAI ER IG List" <w3c-wai-er-ig@w3.org>

Yes, the confidence level was not quite right for what I was trying to

Your suggestion of creating a new class to define partial pass is much
better. Thanks!

Here's what I'm thinking of using for a 'conditional pass' (just a slight
mod of your Partial):

   <rdfs:label xml:lang="en">Only passes known problems. Still has potential
   <rdfs:comment xml:lang="en">An extension used by the ATRC accessibility
checker to identify partially conforming content</rdfs:comment>

We're using the term 'known problem' to describe an accessibility problem
that  a software tool can detect. A 'potential problem' is something that a
software tool can not detect - it requires human intervention. These terms
may mean different things to different people and we're looking at other

The accessibility barriers posed by the 'potential problems' are as great as
'known problems' so the term 'potential' does not imply that the problem is
any less severe.

We're still mulling over this idea of 'conditional pass'. If a file passes
all the checks for known problems then it likely will be OK. Potential
problems, like missing LONGDESC, are not likely to happen.