Re: Draft ERT WG Charter for review and comment

> we need tools that can incorporate EARL report..

Yes. EARL itself needs several tweaks so that reports from one tool are useful to other tools. We also need to tweak it so that reports from various tools can be combined into one document.

> ...idea that was discussed sometime ago was to develop
> a service that would be able to upload EARL reports
> produced by several tools and offer to the user a sort of
> integration and comparison of results.

This has been difficult because all of our tools are testing for slightly different things. Let's agree on what we should be testing for.

> Secondly, I would not like AERT WG to focus on
> technical aspects of what techniques AER tools
> should/could employ to evaluate websites.
> Let the developers do this.

I disagree. The guideline authors should tell us what they require to achieve compliance to their guidelines. We should not leave this up to the tool developers. The current situation where all our tools provide different results makes the user very confused and dilutes the guidelines.

> Why not concentrating on understanding how to
> measure the effectiveness, usability, quality of use,
> accessibility of tools?

Yes, this certainly requires more work.

> The service AERT WG would provide in this case is
> again towards end-users, purchasers, tools manufacturers,
> etc in terms of a well-studied and robust tool evaluation
> methodology, that would be able to appropiately classify
> tools and results produced by tools.
> A first draft of an example of methodology is described...

I didn't see the methodology in the attached documents. Could you explain a bit more about it?

Cheers,
Chris