Re: [check 7] ALT text can't be empty (null or all spaces) if image is used as an anchor

From: Chris Ridpath <chris.ridpath@utoronto.ca>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 11:10:35 -0500
To: "Lisa Seeman" <lisa@ubaccess.com>, <w3c-wai-er-ig@w3.org>

> The technique  may be :
> if the image has information and message that is not in the linked text
> -that should be alt text of the image

We already have checks that should cover that:

[1] text in image must be in alt text
[2] color alone should not describe image
[3] image may require a longdesc
[4] important images should not have empty alt
[5] alt text should describe link destination

Check #7 has been left as is but I have added another check for empty link
text:
[6] Anchor must have some link text
It can be in the title or the image ALT or the A body.

I've also added another check for redundant link text:
[7] large number of anchors should not have redundant link text
(This is redundant text within the same anchor.)
So what's a "large number of anchors"? I put it at 5. Does anyone have an
idea of what a reasonable number would be?

Chris

[1]
http://tile-cridpath.atrc.utoronto.ca/acheck/servlet/ShowCheck?check=11&lang=eng
[2]