Re: Automatically testing Web content for flicker

From: Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 23:21:32 +0100 (BST)
To: Wendy A Chisholm <wendy@w3.org>
cc: <w3c-wai-er-ig@w3.org>

On Thu, 6 Jun 2002, Wendy A Chisholm wrote:

> The holy grail in testing tools seems to be an automatic test for flicker
> that could be dangerous for someone with photosensitive epilepsy.
>
> Does anyone know of a tool that tests for flicker?

mmmph ... could ask on sci.image.processing, but it sounds unlikely.

Valet can be set to warn about it for every object that might cause
a problem (OTTOMH img/object/applet), but doesn't actually test the
content.

> Information on photosensitive epilepsy. [2]

IMO that belongs more in UAAG: a person with epilepsy would be well-
advised to use a browser that doesn't expose him/her to the risk,
regardless of webcontent.

> [2] http://www.epilepsy.org.uk/info/photofrm.html

I'd want a qualified quack on the team, rather than relying on a
website (however respectable) for such a critical development.

--
Nick Kew

Available for contract work - Programming, Unix, Networking, Markup, etc.