Re: HTML friendly links to metainformation

From: Sean B. Palmer <sean@mysterylights.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 21:22:12 +0100
To: "Nick Kew" <nick@webthing.com>, "Al Gilman" <asgilman@iamdigex.net>, "Jim Ley" <jim@jibbering.com>
Cc: <w3c-wai-er-ig@w3.org>
> > Of course, HTML WG are saying that XHTML 2.0 doesn't
> > have to be legacy-safe, [...]

> Or on second thoughts: yes, here's one printable comment.  It
> would be entirely wrong for them to introduce constructs that
> break back-compatibility gratuitously.

> I think in WAI terms, we do have to be legacy safe unless
> there's some incredibly powerful reason, anything that breaks
> current access technology is dangerous.

I'm afraid you're just repeating concerns that have already been expressed.
I ranted about exactly this topic on www-html (which is the proper venue
for this discussion) back in August.

- My original note
- Reply from the WG chair
- Reply from Bjoern, exposing a badly written detail in my original note
- My reply to the chair, clarifying my position
- My reply to Bjoern, clarifying my position

the thread continued through August:-

Result: XHTML 2.0 will be backwards incompatable with good cause, the HTML
WG hopefully won't twist it to meet UA implementation of base-level XML