HTML friendly links to metainformation

From: Al Gilman <asgilman@iamdigex.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 11:08:43 -0400
To: w3c-wai-er-ig@w3.org

Note that HTML WG are struggling with what they feel are needs that are not
met by X-Link.

We need to learn what those unmet needs are.  But at least in the present
case, the structure that seems to be friendliest both to HTML tradition and
to X-Link decisions is to use a construction something like:

<link role="meta" href="URI-reference_returning_EARL_doc"
type="cturi:text/rdf;version=1.2">

Clearly by HTML precedent we can use META and LINK in the HEAD of an HTML.

I would want to know if it is legacy-safe to inject META and LINK elements
in the BODY or if current processors will croak.

Of course, HTML WG are saying that XHTML 2.0 doesn't have to be
legacy-safe, but I am still concerned to come up with usages that are.

Al