Re: Where does the EARL go?

From: Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 19:30:20 +0100 (BST)
To: Wendy A Chisholm <wendy@w3.org>
cc: <w3c-wai-er-ig@w3.org>

On Fri, 19 Oct 2001, Wendy A Chisholm wrote:

> [chop - just a couple of points I feel compelled to respond to

> They are good questions.  My personal answers are:
> 1. I would like to, but this only seems possible if all WYSIWYG authoring
> tools are able to generate the EARL conformance claim for the author.  This
> might take the form of a really compelling plug-in that we develop and
> hand-off to authoring tool developers (or develop in conjunction
> w/authoring tool devs).

On that subject, have I mentioned the IE plugin at
in this forum?  This is the first clientside tool to work with the
XML I'm now offering.  I'd be interested in applying this kind of
thing to authoring tools.

> 2. I think the link element seems to be the best way to go.
> type='text/x-earl', as you suggested Nick, works for me.  Do we need to
> formalize this in some way?

By convention, the "x-" means something we have defined by private
arrangement between cooperating systems that recognise it.  To give
it official status, we would need to remove the x-, and register
"text/earl" with IANA.

Nick Kew

Site Valet - the essential service for anyone with a website.