Semantic EARL?

From: William Loughborough <love26@gorge.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 05:35:19 -0800
To: w3c-wai-er-ig@w3.org
At GL we may be moving towards a general set of "principles" (mappable to,
at present, 4 guidelines) that rely heavily on the idea that Web material
should contain Semantics (whatever that means!) permitting adequate
repurposing and control by or on behalf of the user, particularly the user
with disabilities.

Is there some way for EARL to evaluate if this charge has been answered?

The current brouhaha is about "distraction" as a device for everything from
improving communication to diverting attention from what's *really
important*. Can we think of a way to ferret out the presence/absence of
semantics relating to (on the plus side) illustration vs. the (minus side)
typical "click here" banner ad?

--
Love.
                 ACCESSIBILITY IS RIGHT - NOT PRIVILEGE