Re: Can the W3C HML validaor send email when the page becomes invalid (was Re: WWW: Interoperability Crisis?)

The HTML standard includes the address element for defining who is
responsible for a page. This is important - in the domain w3.org there are
certainly more than 100 differnt people who are responsible for content, and
in the domain geocities.com there are likely to be a lot more...

Using metadata is a good alternative. Using some magic that relies on
assumptions about the way domains are administered is not. In my opinion
<grin/>

cheers

Charles McCN

On Mon, 22 Jan 2001, Al Gilman wrote:

  At 09:25 PM 2001-01-22 +0000, Nick Kew wrote:
  >On Mon, 22 Jan 2001, Al Gilman wrote:

  >That doesn't make much sense to me.  Site Valet (when not set just
  >to mail to a subscriber's address) will use either of the more
  >conventional
  >
  > <link rev="made" href="<mailto:author@domain>mailto:author@domain">
  >
  >and default to webmaster@domain as last resort.

  Maybe it makes more sense to work on sites to all support webmaster@domain
  with
  content-aware filters so EARL reports will get parsed.  But the idea was
  not to
  replace the author info but to augment it.  If we don't make it a different
  reserved term then authors are going to get it in the ear at sites where there
  is someone else who should be getting that.

  The idea I was exploring was to establish separate conventions for the content
  point of contact and the technical (bugs) point of contact.  This is often
  done
  in visible plain links, does it make sense to try to promulgate a common
  practice?  From: and Errors-To: are two distinct things in mail headers.  You
  shouldn't have to default to <webmaster@domain> the webmaster should have a
  machine-interpretable way to tell you just where they want such mail to go.